Saturday, February 2, 2013

February 2, 2013 Repetition

Today's word: Repetition

To be really good at anything, you have to practice.

 Ballerinas repeatedly practice their positions and moves.
 Reining horses practice their moves with their riders all the time.
 Ice skaters continuously practice their moves.
 Golfers practice their shots, as do basketball players.
 Musicians practice a lot.
 If you want to be good, you practice.

 Artists should always be painting, drawing, sculpting, whatever to continuously improve.

 The book "Outlanders" said that to be really good, you need to practice 10,000 hours, minimum.


 Giftedness or talent will only take you so far. The rest is practice and persistence.

 One way I practice is to "do over" something that I think has real potential, but isn't turning out like I want.

 I was going to show you what I mean with pictures of a painting that I redid several times to get it right. Unfortunately, not only can I not find the practice paintings, but I cannot find the photograph of the finished piece. Bummer...

So here is one that I've started two times, and it's not working, yet.

First try:

I'm not liking the way the chain link in the background is turning out.  Too defined, and too precise.  I want something that is more blurry, and the background behind the chain link is way too dark.




Second try:

I spent a lot of time masking out the chain link fence, then painting the background.  Where I've painted the chain link on the left side of the flower, I'm not liking how it's turning out.  But this time, the rest of the background is fine.  The sunflower, I'm thinking now, is too small.


So, now, I can just give up, or I can try again.  I'm thinking I'll try again.  I just have to let it sit some more, and do something else in the meantime.


No comments: